Okay, hang on - back away from that fruit arrangement and that fast food gift card. I've been contemplating a lot this morning about gifting for the difficult giftees in our lives. Instead of just spending money on something to give that you're not even sure your loved one will like, give a holiday gift that is meaningful on multiple levels: donate in your giftee's name to a life changing organization. Last year, my awesome brother Jason symbolically adopted a polar bear in my name from World Wildlife Fund. It was stellar because he gave me a gift that made me smile - in my honor, WWF was going to fight to save polar bear lives. Jason paid it forward and gave twice.
In honor of Human Rights Day today, I've listed below some different donation ideas so you can pick an organization geared towards your giftee and one that fits your budget. With a gift honoring someone and changing the life of another, I really don't see how you can go wrong this holiday season.
1. For the giftee who loves children: This donation will give a whopping $300 of clothing, shoes & more to kids in our own backyard in the U.S.. Other $25 donations for kids in the U.S. here.
2. For the giftee who loves animals: Symbolically adopt your giftees' favorite animal through World Wildlife Fund and fight to converse animals' lives here. Take this fun quiz to see who your giftee's spirit animal is if you're having trouble picking an animal.
3. For the giftee who is passionate about human rights: Life changing job training for girls & women "frees a women's children from hunger & creates new jobs in the community". This gift will "supply job skills & business training" to "make a good living in a field such as tailoring, jewelry-making, baking or dairy farming." Other $25 ideas via World Vision here.
$50 gift donation ideas:
4. For the giftee who loves children: Be Santa for a child who is struggling to survive & may have never gotten a single gift. $50 gives $600 worth of new toys via World Vision.
5. For the giftee who loves animals & cute plush toys: Take your animal conservation to the next level & purchase the $50 gift package that will include a plush toy & gift bag for your giftee. OR! Purchase an awesome panda vintage tee here ($.85 of ever $1 goes towards conservation when you purchase gifts).
6. For the giftee who appreciates education: Give the gift of education and a future for young girls. $52 provides a year of education for girls in places like Afghanistan via the International Rescue Committee.
$100+ gift donation ideas:
7. For the giftee who loves to learn: For $125, you will help build a farmer field school that will provide free training to help people support and feed themselves. Via OxFam.
8. For the giftee who is fascinated by medicine and can't get enough of shows like House: "$190 can supply the necessary medication and medical attention to protect the lives of 100 children in a place where a cholera epidemic has broken out." Donate here.
9. For the giftee who loves to play: Remember how much fun it
Any amount gift donation ideas:
10. Give the gift of education through Artists for Peace and Justice to children in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere: Haiti. Check out what (one of my idols) Olivia Wilde has to say about this gift here.
11. That shower you just took and that toilet you just flushed and those dishes you just washed - all not possible without clean water. We may take this for granted. Every year, 40 billion hours are spent just walking to find water. Give clean water to a community via charity: water. Donate and print a gift card here.
12. Hurricane Sandy is still affecting many areas - donate to Red Cross disaster relief for those friends of yours who live in the northeast area (photo via).
13. Help homeless animals in the U.S. via a donation in honor to the Humane Society.
Gift happy this holiday season.
Have any other ideas on charities to donate to? List them in the comments to share for us all!
Live in love,