Friday, December 9, 2011

Day in the city: makes me think.

Went into NYC yesterday to get some final supplies for this weekend's shows and also to see Gary Hustwit speak at a lecture for AIGA. He's the director of the type film, Helvetica (yeah, I'm a type geek!). Gary is such a good speaker! Super personable & really easy going, his talk was all about how he was just interested in graphic design so he decided to make a documentary about it. Say wha!? Yep, that's right; he wasn't a professional graphic designer himself, per say. He was just intrigued by the subject.


So Gary up & made this film, interviewing famous designers about the controversial typeface, Helvetica. You see this typeface all the time on signage & modern store fronts. The controversy is that designers either love it or hate it. It doesn't convey much feeling & is used often, but, as Gary put it, it "leaves out all the emotion" and just gives "straight information." 

Anyways, even if you're not a graphic designer, you can still totally take something away from this. Gary decided he was interested in something, so he went out to learn about it. He wasn't necessarily interested in the outcome and didn't have a plan for it. He was just into it! That inspires me to stop being so focused on what the outcome of certain things are and just enjoy the journey. It makes me want to go out and explore for the sake of exploring. Not because I want to be smart or well rounded, but just because I'm intrigued. That's a huge revelation! What an awesome way to live life. Sometimes I do that, but certainly not always. Sometimes I'm way too focused on the future instead of right now.

This also got me to thinking about magazines. This morning I woke up & was reading NYLON at breakfast. They have swimsuits in the magazine already. The fashion world is already onto next season. Where's the enjoyment in right now? In today? Who says we'll make it to next season? Yes, it's certainly good to have some sort of plan for life & to aspire to things! But, it's also good to enjoy the here & now.

I'm constantly being reminded of living in the here and now. Having my own start up, I'm constantly in the future and planning for what's next so I'll be ready for 'the now.' But it is nice to sometimes be living in this time & to not think about all the future. Also, to explore for the sake of exploring, not for the sake of getting somewhere.

Made me think.
---
What I wore for a windy evening in the city:
hat, H&M // scarf, Steve Madden // coat, Delia*s //
bag, Jessica Simpson (TJMAXX!) // jeans, Levis // shoes, Kelsi Dagger
Love the feminine bow on this hat.
top, Kirra // cuff, my Remedy // belt, vintage - my mommma's
What 99.9% of photos look like when I'm shooting with a self timer. Ha!

Cuff I made! Great accessory to push an outfit to a dressier place just with one piece.
Cat eye also adds a feminine, edgy touch without being overdone. Sometimes, I'll just wear a cat eye & mascara and no other makeup because you usually don't need much else.
Whimsical & vintage-looking, these booties are comfortable and spunky. 
Plus, got 'em at DSW which means they were a steal!
So get out & go explore this weekend for the sake of the adventure.
Sweet weekend plans anyone? 

I'll be selling my Remedy at the Bust Magazine Craftacular tomorrow in NYC so if you're in the area, you should definitely come by! More than 200 vendors with handmade gifts for the holidays.
HAPPY Friday!
xx. Jillian

3 comments:

  1. all this blue looks FABULOUS on you! i adore that jacket!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im in love with your shoes!! :)

    Best,

    Tamara B.
    http://lilmissstyleblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The polka doted blue shirt is so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day. Keep living in love. xx.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...