Sunday, November 27, 2011

dressing for reunions... stress free.

Thanksgiving time usually means reunion time, whether it's a family reunion, reunion with friends from your hometown or a school reunion. I had the latter this past weekend: 5 year high school reunion. (Man, I feel old saying that. Hahah.)

Dressing for a reunion with no dress code, I found out (frantically) this weekend is veeerrryyyy tricky. I didn't really have much time to shop (realized too late I should have done it online months ago) & I also had no idea what to wear. Do you wear a dress or jeans? Blouse or shirt? Pumps or boots? Normally, I have no problem with this kind of thing, but I think because I was going to see a lot of people I haven't seen since I was a teenager, it was a little more complicated. I've also changed/grown a lot since high school so I wanted to make an impression. A good one, at that.

I found the best way to go about this angst was to...

  • Keep it simple. Don't want to look like you're trying too hard or look overdone. A good rule to go by  is to always take one accessory off before leaving your room.
  • Keep it polished. Because you also don't want to look like a slop.
  • Stay carefree & get ready with friends (that's what I did &, not only is it much more fun, but it also takes the edge off) or by listening to some kick ass music. This helps calm any nerves & also makes it easier to pick something out of your closet to wear when you absolutely despise everything that you own because nothing feels right (like I sometimes do).
  • Wear something you're comfortable in. If you're uncomfortable in your dress, it'll show.
  • Own it. This is so key because this makes or breaks style. If you rock your style with confidence, it really won't matter what you're wearing. Think about Gaga: some of the things she wears are just ridiculous, but because she owns it, her style totally works.
I did all of the above & it worked out so much better/easier than I had planned. I ended up rocking black jeans with an oversized, sparkly, burnt orange top that I wore off the shoulder. It felt comfortable & it felt like me. Even though I definitely think I could have worn something better / more figure flattering, I was happy feeling carefree about the outfit because that meant having more of a good time. I wore these Sam Edelmann pumps because how could I not? They added the extra 'umpf' to my outfit to take it from casual to somewhat dressy casual. Unfortunately, I meant to take photos, but we didn't end up having time to take any before we left - my bad. Wish I had some to share!

In the end, no matter what you wear, as long as it's comfortable & makes you feel good, you're bound to have a good time. Just remember: whatever you wear, be sure to rock it with confidence.

xx.

P.S. Don't forget to enter the giveaway for a gold feather necklace sponsored by Shabby Apple. You've got until tomorrow night at midnight to enter here!

3 comments:

  1. Love these tips, even for just dressing every day. I can't even begin to tell you how many outfits I have to go through sometimes before I figure out what I want to wear. :)


    Anna

    owlsandlace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy you're diggin' the tips Anna!
    xx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I just found you from Gentri Lee! I am your newest follower and I can not wait to keep reading! I would love if you stopped over and followed me too!!

    http://www.dailypolkadots.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day. Keep living in love. xx.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...