Monday, October 10, 2011

making a fancy dress wearable for every day.

Went to a Betsey Johnson sample sale two weeks ago & picked up this amazing dress. It's sort of a demin-y fabric with magenta lining and a dark floral pattern. It's got a lace up corset in the back and a ruffle across the top hem. All in all, it's a pretty girly dress. And I love it! Naturally, for me, I have to make it boyish to rock it as an everyday dress. This is how I wore it for the my Remedy release:

I find it fun to rock a lot of my dresses with a similar style. Adding a sneaker type shoe (like Converse's or Keds) takes the femininity of wearing a dress down a notch, but it's still playful. I wore a ring from my Remedy that played off of the magenta lining in the dress that's sometimes visible. Rings are an easy accessory to add without feeling like you're overdoing it.

A moto jacket is an amazing investment. It can be expensive if you get real leather, but you can always go faux (& be animal friendly). I get a lot of wear out of mine & it's perfect because it can dress up an outfit or make it boyish, all while keeping it chic. For me, it exudes a level of confidence since I can feel bad ass & feminine at the same time in one. I've seen really great ones sold at Urban Outfitters & even Victoria's Secret online. It's a must-have for me.




xx. Jillian

12 comments:

  1. How cute is this outfit?! There are times I want to revisit my tomboy days while still looking feminine at the same time and you really accomplished that! (That last pose is awesome!)

    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dressing down fancy dresses so I can wear them anytime :)

    XoXo
    Plami

    http://www.fashionthrill.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! Love how you paired it with street chic kicks for the ultimate uptown/downtown effect! Great moves!

    xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

    Haute Khuuture Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. aboslutely adorable! I'm totally always one to wear more formal dresses with biker boots and/or a leather jacket to tone them down a bit!


    XO Sahra
    EffortlessCool

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on making the Links a la Mode!

    Best, Jenny

    http://www.dresscodehighfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog, found you via G & G. I also love the dressing down a dress and your look rocks! Also loving your fun poses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the contradiction behind this concept ;)

    XX,
    Miranda

    TheChicSheet.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone!! So happy to read you dig this post :]

    xx. Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are my hero. Any one who wears a fancy dress with a leather moto jacket and hi-top chucks is amazeballs in my book.
    xoxo
    Lia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Lia, thank you!! Totally made my day.
    xx. Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pictures are blowing me away. I'm definitely subscribing to your blog! Please check out my blog when you get a chance.

    http://www.goodbadandfab.com
    the personal style and fashion musings of a LA fashion lawyer living life in the fab lane

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW I love this!!! Incredible poses too x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day. Keep living in love. xx.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...